Sunday, March 15, 2009

Life is Fragile

Last night at work I approached a man sitting quietly alone at his table waiting to order his dinner, he was a foreign man from Japan visiting the U.S. All night I wondered what this man was doing by himself, a blank look on his face but didn't seem sad, just blank. He quietly finished his meal as he befriended a couple sitting next to him. The woman was nearly in tears, as she and her husband offered to pay for the Japanese man's meal.

When the man left I discovered that he is dying of cancer and has limited time to live. He came to the U.S. as his last vacation to fulfill his dream to watch a baseball game live in a stadium and to explore America. This brought chills down my spine, just putting myself in this man's shoes, knowing I will die anytime soon.

Why did I decide to share this? Because many of us take our lives for granted, instead of appreciating each day we are alive. This is exactly why I live each day as if I will not be here tomorrow. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment